Exeter sent a large squad to the first WEARA regatta of the 2019 season. The Junior, senior, club and masters squads were all represented at the south Devon Venue for a weekend of successful racing.
On the Saturday, Exeter had wins from:
- Jaz and Abbie in the WNov 2x
- Jaz in the WJ17 1x
- Megan in the WJ15 1x,
- Isaac and Sam in the MJ14 2x
- Evie in the OJ13 1x (extra well done to her for racing a boy!)
- Tom in the MJ15 1x
- Lily, Megan, Lucy and Hollie in the WJ15 4x+
- Tom and Tommy in the MJ15 2x
- Lucy and Hollie in the WJ14 2x
- And Jacob, Seb, Tom and Tommy in the MJ15 4x+… and that was only the non-championship day!
The only crew representing the senior squad on the Saturday with a win was the ladies Novice crew made up of, Katie Swaine, Sarah Jellard, Finn Williams and Tory Temple-Murray who all started rowing less than a year ago and came up from the Learn to Row courses laid on by the club. They rowed to a rather spectacular victory over the 500m course.
On the Sunday Exeter had a great start to championship points with some great wins:
- Abbie, Frankie, Ella, Jaz and cox Anya in the WJ18+
- Lucy, Evie, Hollie, Lucy and cox Kate in the WJ14 4x+
- Sam in MJ14 1x
- Ed, Tom and Tommy placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the MJ16 1x
- Lucy in WJ14 1x (followed by Evie who’s J13!)
- Tommy, Tom, Seb, Jacob and cox Anya in the MJ16 4x+
- Jaz in the WJ18 1x followed by Catriona.
The seniors were once again in action, with the men fielding 4 different crews over the day of racing. The Mens Senior A Crew came an impressive second to Greenbank Falmouth 2018 Henley qualifying crew. In the next category down (Senior B) Exeter Fielded two crews and the crew of Jake Treliving, George Rymell, Avril Spink and Tom Zawalynski took the prestigious win, with the other crew coming home in third.
The Ladies novice crew from the previous day were once again out in action and earnt themselves a place in the final, this time racing over the 500m mark, and like the previous day the girls were well an truly into the lead for the majority of the race but unfortunately couldn’t hold on until the end and came a still rather impressive second.
Report written by Exeter RC Junior 16 Rower – Frankie Bonfield